Field Notes

[Date entered : 2017-10-31]
[The text that follows is not tagged in RDFa]

Choice of platform

This Website is published in WordPress.org, hosted through Canadian Web Hosting. This platform was chosen because it facilitates the visual display of information, while at the same time allowing for changes to be made in the HTML code of pages and blog posts. In this regard, it should be noted that WordPress.com, a similar service, was initially chosen, but later discarded because, apart from a few HTML tags, WordPress.com strips RDFa tags from the code, while WordPress.org has plugins to preserve this content. However, switching between the “Visual” and “Text” editing functions within WordPress.org may still result in unwanted changes to the HTML code.

Creating and tagging blog posts

RDFa tagging with Schema.org

To describe the first two blog entries using Schema.org, I had trouble figuring out the right nesting of types and properties. This was due to the natural learning curve of trying out for the first time both RDFa and Schema.org, and (perhaps?) with the way WordPress.org handles HTML and RDFa tagging.
NOTE : I found it especially useful to look at the examples for the translationOfWork property.

I also had trouble trying to assign subject headings to my entries. This is primarily because each quotation may deal with a topic that does not represent the subject headings associated with the Work more broadly speaking, and I wanted the subject headings to reflect primarily the nature of the quotation’s contents.

Going forward, I still need to learn more about the various types and properties available. It would seem like certain parts of the Bibliographic Description for the blog entries are hard to describe using the Schema.org vocabulary.
NOTE : As of this writing, the Quotation type in Schema.org is still part of the pending.schema.org extension.

[Date entered : 2017-11-02]

After having experimented with the first two posts, the third post, a quotation from Julian Barnes’s England, England, was much simpler. I copy-pasted the code from a previous post and simply changed the resource links as needed, as well as the bibliographic descriptions.
I used “tags” (as understood in a blogging/social tagging context) to mirror the subject headings added to each quotation. This was done for the purposes of indexing entries within the blog, not specifically to use them as linked data points. (I am not sure to what extent, if any, does WordPress.org structure data from these tags).